Translate

Monday 22 October 2012

Destination Star Trek London Convention Part 1: My Day

Many hoards of Trekkies descended to the Excel Centre in London, where the Star Trek Convention was in full swing from 19-21 October 2012.  Their dedication was recognizable from their costumes, decked out in full Star Fleet attire, from all five shows. I, however, had chosen not to dress for the occasion.  Agh that sounds like I didn't wear a stitch of clothing, which I assure you I did.

I must confess, my prime directive for attending was to meet my fave star, Scott Bakula, who played Captain Jonathan Archer from my fave series Enterprise for four years.  Only four! Granted many will not agree with me, but to each his/her own.  Thought it was about time I went to one and as they say, it was now or never.  Got to have my photo taken, share a few hurried words with him and I got my hug. Yay!! Just love him to bits.


Then it was off to the Captain's Talk, again with Scott.  Which was meant to last 45 minutes long, but we were only given 40 minutes.  That was interesting when Scott was doing the talking but not so with some of the questions asked.  The time could have been better spent if the questions were not only shorter, but if some weren't off topic and downright ridiculous.  By the time the moderator, aka bloke with mike, got round to where we were sitting, time had run out and the fans on this side couldn't ask questions, except one.  How unfair was that?  At least Scott wanted fans to get a chance to ask on this side of the stage.  Showing how generous and kind he really is.  At least he didn't treat or separate fans according to what they had paid for their tickets!!

Apparently the stage was lit with blue lighting, wonder if they trying to create a Quantum Leap aura, when Sam would leap he'd be surrounded by blue light.

As soon as the talk began, Scott treated us to a few lines of Dulcinea from Man of La Mancha.  Video recordings were forbidden but as soon as he said he was going to sing, out came all the iPhones, vid cameras and everyone had their fingers poised on the record button.



Questions ranged from "Where is Sam Beckett now? Scott's character from Quantum Leap.  I mean, really, were you watching the show at all?  He never returned home, so he's still out there.  Even Scott seemed peeved at that, seeing as Sam wasn't getting his just 'dues' for helping people.

Scott thought they played Enterprise as they were in the Wild West, there were no rules.  As for which Star Trek show was the best, Scott; "our show was the best."  I concur.  He thought the scripts in the second season of the show "were better as did the work [get better]...if you go back and look at it which I know you guys never do."  If they had another season, "it would have been fun to go back there and do another musical."  It's cos he's also a great singer as well as actor and sings in most everything he does, or tries to.

There was one on his character on Desperate Housewives being called Trip, re the name of his Chief Engineer Charles Trip Tucker.  Scott replied he was meant to appear on the show for a long time but the seasons kept going by and then he finally got the chance in the last season.  He asked if they were fine with him playing it and they thought it was cool.  It was a "nod to Connor, but I didn't play him as Connor [Trineer]."

Even hinting that he may not be dead on Chuck and could still return.  "...people think I'm dead on Chuck - but you never know."  Some of his upcoming projects include a role on Law and Order SVU playing a bad guy, hey we don't care!  As well as Behind the Candelabra, a movie about Liberace, played by Michael Douglas.



Great interaction with his fans, at least he didn't sit on the chair that was provided for him, which would have made him seem elusive and unapproachable.  He's not like that.  He has immense respect and admiration for his fans, it's the fans who make the show, otherwise he could just be an actor in his own living room.  As he said, his "...whole career on TV was because of Quantum Leap and made it around the world [the show] because of fans.  I never forget why I'm here, I'm a wonderful actor inside my own house by myself, but we need each other."  So sweet and modest!


I'm really glad I went and was a part of a little bit of Star Trek history.  Scott made my day, well year...!!

I wanted to share some moments on this blog with you, cos I would hope that if I couldn't go, someone else would do the same. Enjoy.


My general review of the other guests attending and events taking place there will follow in Part 2.

No comments: